The Bulova Lunar Pilot watch is a stunning timepiece that captures the spirit of adventure and the excitement of space exploration. Inspired by the watch worn by astronaut Dave Scott during the Apollo 15 mission to the moon, this watch boasts a unique blend of rugged durability, precision engineering, and timeless style.
With its sleek black stainless steel case, striking white numerals, and distinctive red-tipped seconds hand, the Bulova Lunar Pilot watch is a true statement piece that exudes confidence and sophistication. Whether you’re a space enthusiast, a history buff, or simply someone who appreciates fine craftsmanship and attention to detail, the Bulova Lunar Pilot watch is sure to impress.
What makes the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch unique?
The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch is unique for several reasons:
- It was the first watch worn on the moon: In 1971, the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch was worn by astronaut Dave Scott during the Apollo 15 mission, making it the first watch to be worn on the moon.
- It has a unique chronograph movement: The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch features a high-frequency quartz chronograph movement that is extremely accurate and reliable. The movement is also able to measure elapsed time up to 12 hours, which is longer than most other chronograph watches.
- It has a distinctive design: The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch has a black dial with white subdials and large, easy-to-read numerals. It also features a tachymeter bezel and a date window at 4 o’clock.
- It is a limited edition: The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch is a limited edition watch, with only 2,020 pieces produced worldwide. Each watch is individually numbered, adding to its uniqueness and collectability.
- It is a tribute to the Apollo 15 mission: The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch was created to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 15 mission, which was one of the most significant missions in the history of space exploration. The watch features several design elements that pay tribute to the mission, including the mission patch on the caseback and the words “THE FIRST WATCH WORN ON THE MOON” on the dial.
What is the movement of the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch?
The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch features a high-frequency quartz chronograph movement, specifically the Bulova Caliber 262 kHz UHF (Ultra High Frequency) movement. This movement is highly accurate and reliable, with a frequency of 262,144 Hz (hertz), which is eight times higher than the frequency of a standard quartz movement. The high frequency ensures that the watch maintains accurate timekeeping, and the chronograph function can measure elapsed time with precision up to 1/10th of a second. The movement is also equipped with a perpetual calendar that adjusts for leap years and can display the date up to the year 2099.
What is the water resistance of the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch?
The Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch has a water resistance rating of 165 feet (50 meters). This means that it can withstand splashes of water, but it is not suitable for swimming, diving, or any other water-related activities. The watch is designed primarily for use on land, and it is recommended to avoid exposing it to water or moisture to prevent any damage to the watch. If you need a watch for water-related activities, Bulova offers other watches with higher water resistance ratings that may better suit your needs.
Is the Bulova Lunar Pilot too big?
The size of the Bulova Lunar Pilot watch may be a matter of personal preference, as some people prefer larger watches while others prefer smaller ones. That being said, the Bulova Lunar Pilot watch has a case diameter of 45 millimeters, which is larger than the average watch size. However, this size is consistent with the design of many pilot’s watches, which are often larger to make them more readable and easier to operate in a variety of conditions.
Additionally, the Bulova Lunar Pilot watch is designed with a relatively thin profile, which helps to make it more comfortable to wear despite its larger size. Ultimately, whether or not the Bulova Lunar Pilot watch is too big depends on your personal taste and comfort level with oversized watches.
Is the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch suitable for daily wear?
In my opinion, yes, the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch is suitable for daily wear. Its classic design and durable construction make it a versatile watch that can be worn with a variety of outfits, from casual to formal. The watch is also equipped with a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, which helps to protect the dial from scratches and other damage.
Additionally, the watch features a sturdy stainless steel case and bracelet that can withstand daily wear and tear. However, it is important to note that the watch is not designed for water-related activities and should be kept away from water or moisture to prevent any damage.
What is the price of the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch?
The price of the Bulova Lunar Pilot Watch can vary depending on factors such as the retailer and the availability of the watch. However, the suggested retail price of the watch is around $595. It is important to note that the price of the watch may be subject to change over time and may also vary depending on your location and the retailer’s pricing strategy.
Additionally, the watch may be available at a discounted price during sales or promotions, so it is always a good idea to check with authorized Bulova retailers for the latest pricing information. I just found one for about $560, so take a few minutes and check your option.
I’m not saying it’s a cheap watch, however, it is pretty affordable compared to the Omega Speedmaster (which was worn on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969) and sells for about $5000.
FYI: In case this watch exceeds your budget, check out the Bulova Precisionist as well.